Thursday, July 24, 2008

A Guatemalan birthday.....

Yesterday I celebrated my 27th birthday in Guatemala. What a great way to experience another culture!

My day began around 7am when I woke up. I saw my host mom (or, as we students prefer to call our host moms, my GuateMomma), and she sang me Happy Birthday in English! I didn't even know that she knew English! Then she gave me a small gift, which I opened. (It's a scarf....I think....Well, whatever it is, it's beautiful and I love it.) I received hugs from the whole family. I was lucky to have a very warm shower, and then I was treated to fresh fruit for breakfast, which I know is a pretty big deal. We hardly ever have fresh fruit in my home. One of my first days in Guatemala, my GuateMomma told me that fruit is extremely expensive here.

I walked to the school to use the Internet for awhile. On my walk back home, I passed Edwin (one of the teachers who is my friend), and he sang Happy Birthday (very loudly) to me in Spanish while we were standing on the street. When I returned home, my GuateMomma was busy making a large lunch. We had mashed potatoes, a salad, and some meat. (I had soy.) Again, this was definitely not a normal meal. When I expressed my thankfulness, she responded by saying that she was thankful she could do it for me. The food was probably expensive. She was very generous, and I was very grateful.

I talked to Dave on the phone on my walk back to the school for class and he also sang to me. :) When I arrived at the school, my friend Anna surprised me with a cake. Then several friends sang Happy Birthday to me in Spanish, English, and German! After class I went out for pizza with five of my closest friends here. My teacher, Pedro, presented me with my diploma from ICA and I had to give a short speech in Spanish. Then Jen and Michaela surprised me with a pinata at the restaurant. The only problem was that they hadn't thought about how I was going to break it open! So, I just did it by hand! I had everyone cracking up! Afterwards, Pedro went home and the girls went out for a night on the town. It was a nice birthday.

And now....I'm getting ready to leave. This will be my last post from Guatemala. My bus leaves at 2:30pm today. I'll spend the night in Guatemala City and fly home tomorrow. It's very bittersweet. I'm definitely ready to see Dave and my family and friends, but I met some awesome people here that I had to say good-bye to.

My new friends, Michaela, Jen, and Anna
The cake that Anna bought for me


The group at Guiseppes, the Italian restaurant
Pedro giving my diploma to me

The pinata

The aftermath
The janitor, Lencho, who likes to kiss me :)
Alejandra, another teacher at ICA

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you had a good trip sis. (And by the looks of it a very good birthday too) But I do miss you, and have to say, I'm glad you're coming home. : )

IT Girl Mary said...

wow! what a day for you! that's so awesome. i just love the look on your face when tu maestro is giving you your diploma! it's like . . . oooohh! ooooohh! heeeeere it comes!!!! lol. and the way you ripped apart the pinata's legs! OUCH! lol. pobre pinata! have a great trip home meguita. can't wait to have you back in the office for a whole three days till i leave! you know we are going to have to get together!

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you had a very nice birthday, I'm glad. Have a safe trip home. I know we are all excited to see you too. I of course will have to wait longer. Love you sis.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to You, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday.... you know the rest. I hope you had wonderful time. I love the pinatia. It look like they have Candy in there that you would find here. LOVE U;P