A day and a half of traveling back home by myself was long. Luckily, other than the gorgeous mountain views and another thunderstorm while I was on the plane, the travel was fairly uneventful.
I've been home for a week now, but I'm still continuing to process everything that I learned and experienced while I was in Guatemala. I had an amazing experience. I fell in love with the people and the country.
Some things that I miss about Guatemala:
- the welcoming, generous, and patient people
- being greeted when I walk past someone I do not know
- seeing my new friends from five different countries
- the gorgeous mountain views
- learning about and experiencing the Latino and Mayan cultures on a daily basis
- using Spanish on a regular basis (although Rocio & Dave have helped me continue to use it!)
- all the exercise I received by walking almost everywhere
Some things I don't miss at all about Guatemala:
- the rain
- the pollution
- eating food and not necessarily knowing what it is
- the altitude and getting out of breath easily
- worrying about walking at night, even in a group of people
- seeing all the street dogs
- witnessing poverty in a way that I am sheltered from in my life in the US
Since I returned home, I have felt as if I'm a different person. Even Dave has commented about how I have changed. This came as a surprise; I don't think either one of us expected that 3 weeks could change a person. Here are a few examples:
- I feel more thankful for the things that I have, and I don't find myself wanting new or better material things as much as before. I've seen and experienced people who have much less than I do, and yet they are very happy.
- I've cultivated the small bit of extrovert within me. I'm much more independent.
- I'm more easy-going. Although I'll always be a "planner," I handle it better when things don't go as planned.
- My interest in music has increased. I've found a love for some Spanish music.
I'd like to express my thankfulness to the Center for Intercultural Teaching and Learning for offering this opportunity to me. In addition, I'm grateful to the individuals in Student Life and the Human Resources office who "okayed" my proposal and made arrangements that allowed me to travel to Guatemala for three weeks. Estoy muy agradecida. (I'm very grateful.) I look forward to all the ways in which I will be able to use the knowledge about language and culture that I've gained.
I'm very pleased to tell you all that I'll be returning to Xela next summer, but this time Dave will accompany me. We're both looking forward to him experiencing all the things that he has so far only seen in photos.
2 comments:
Well i finally remembered to read your blog entry. I for one am very happy for your return. I am glad for your experiences and for your changes. I look forward to going with you next time. Dave
I'm happy to have you back safe and I'm sure the rest of the family is too. When you go the next time I'll feel better knowing Dave you be with you. I know you will always travel to remote countries but try to take Dave with you.
Post a Comment