Friday, July 11, 2008

Racism, kisses, and bravery

Last night during class my teacher and I spent about an hour discussing racismo (racism) in Guatemala and in the United States. Now, let me tell you, thats not an easy discussion to have in your own language, let alone in a language that you are learning! I think I did pretty well, though, understanding what Pedro said and explaining the differences in the United States. Pedro is Ladino, which means that his ancestry is European. His grandparents (or maybe it was great-grandparents...) came to Guatemala from Spain. He has white skin and a very Spanish-sounding name (Pedro Enrique Munoz Castillo). Im telling you all of this for some context. His feelings and opinions about racism might be different from those of an indigenous person in Guatemala (i.e. someone of direct Mayan descent), but I still think its important to share his opinions with you.

Anyway, here are some similarities about racism in our two countries:
- it exists.
- in general, younger generations are more likely to view everyone as equal, yet they (we) live within systems of institutionalized racism (i.e. sometimes we participate in it or benefit from it without even realizing it because ¨thats the way the system works¨).
- both governments have created some laws with the intention of reducing racism. Sometimes they are effective, sometimes they arent.

Pedro said the most intense conflict in Guatemala right now is occurring within the indigenous community. Some groups have many resources and have become wealthier than others. Their economic position is powerful and they use the power to take advantage of of the poorer groups.

He said one of the greatest problems in Guatemala is the lack of education available to indigenous populations in rural areas. (There are many schools in the cities.) Education is not required by the government and consequently there are many uneducated persons or persons with very limited education. Its easy for the goverment to manipulate these people.

It was a really intersting conversation since its a topic of personal interest to me. I wish I had completely understood everything he said and the I could have expressed myself more fully, but I think we both learned from each other nonetheless. Okay, less intense subject....

Theres an older man who works at the schools and maintains the building (similar to a janitor). I think he is deaf (I sure wish I knew sign language!), and when he speaks it is difficult for me to understand. He has taken a liking to me, and we greet each other every day when I arrive at the school and say good bye every evening. Well, last night when he greeted me, he kissed me on the cheek! I was surprised and a little taken aback, but knowing I was in a different culture, I remained calm and acted like everything was perfectly fine. (I hope you all are laughing at me right now, because Im laughing at myself!) Anyway, later I asked Pedro about it, and he said that greeting someone with a kiss on the cheek is the custom in Guatemala. He kisses his family, female friends, and people whom he meets (never other men, though, except for his dad and grandpa). I want to participate in the Guatemalan culture as much as possible, so....when the old man kissed me on the cheek to tell me good-bye, I kissed him back! :)

There is an interesting mixture here of machismo (male chauvinism) and romantic men. I havent quite figured out where one ends and the other begins. For example, many of the men here obviously enjoy seeing women from the US and Europe. Ive been whistled at a couple times, and I would put that in the category of machismo. However, there are other times when I think the men are simply being romantic. Its a different ¨romantic¨than in US American culture, though, so its difficult for me to understand. For example, I was walking down the street today and a man said to me, ¨Buenos dias, mi amor¨(Good morning, my love). Even though I was taken aback, I dont think it was an inappropriate thing to say in this culture. (Whereas in the US it most likely would have been.)

Im still pretty sick and last night my host my gave me a pill to take. I have no idea what it was, but I told her my symptoms and she said it was what I needed to take, so I took it. Im beginning to feel desparate because I dont want to be sick at the beach this weekend. She told me to go to the farmacia (pharmacy) today to purchase more, so I did....by myself. It went okay. I didnt understand everything the pharmacist said to me, but I was able to purchase the pills. (It was only $1 for 10!) I also needed to purchase a towel to use at the beach this weekend. Pedro had given me directions for a place to go. I had a conversation with the woman there, too, and bought a towel. Yeah for me! (By the way, the towel was almost $20!) I definitely felt brave then. And thanks for the compliment, Deanna.

And yes, Mona, I plan to share the chocolate. :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

ok so your kissing other men in a foreign country i am getting my ticket to go take care of some business over there.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you're fitting in real well. What was the reasom you went there????????? It doesn't sound like your having any trouble with the language. Hope the pills are working. Does Dave need to start worrying about you and your new boyfriend with the kissing? Ha-Ha

Anonymous said...

What is it with you and cute old men??? : ) Remember that old guy in New York?
Anyways, it stinks that you've been feeling crappy. Hopefully your "mystery" pills will work. Is it from the food you've been eating or the water or something?
I'll fill you in more about the lightning when you get home...it's kind of long to write. (Think of it as payback for all the times you've teased me about what you've bought me.)

Anonymous said...

Well, my love, your stay has been very interesting. I can't believe a towel cost 20 dollars but medicine is only 1 dollar. You better watch what you write or Dave is going to come over there and bring you home, lol. And as for the sweet old man, we have always had a way of befriending people who go unnoticed. Love you!

Anonymous said...

What about me? Do I get to tast the forgein Choclate too? please:P

Anonymous said...

I love your title for today's post.

Sounds like you're having very interesting conversations with your teacher. In your talk about education did you ask if the government there is working on a law that requires everyone to receive an education? I have heard that the government pays for college educations. Could you find out if this is true?

With every post I am amazed at how brave you're becoming. I can't believe you let someone kiss you. I'm still in shock that you kissed him back. Please, Please, take a picture of this guy!

How is the medicine working for you? Are you feeling better?