Whatever tone this blog entry takes, please know that Dave and I are both glad that we went. At the same time, we never plan to return!
Our room was lovely. It was obviously built out of local materials. It was very clean, but it was also full of bugs. Neither Dave nor I handle insects very well. The way we are used to living in the U.S. (with doors and windows closed and screens that don't have holes) is very different from how they live in tropical Guatemala (accepting that bugs are everywhere and dealing with it, rather than fighting it). The room also did not have electricity, which we handled quite well until it came to taking a cold shower. :) Around 6pm each night a man came to the room to light several lamps, so we had some light.
The food at the hotel was incredible. I had the best fruit and fruit juices that I've ever had in my life! The hotel is just outside of a portion of Guatemala that is known for their fruits and vegetable because they are grown on the side of a volcano in rich soil. In the U.S. we eat some of those fruits and veggies because they are shipped to us, but they taste so much better fresh! Our first evening a peacock casually strolled up to us in the middle of dinner and obviously wanted something to eat. We weren't sure if it was supposed to be there or not! After about 15 minutes of begging, it pooped right next to our table and walked away!
No one at the hotel spoke English, which meant that my Spanish was put to the test. A couple times at the restaurant we didn't get what I thought I had ordered. Luckily Dave and I were able to laugh it off. I don't handle uncertainty very well; I prefer to have things all planned out. That wasn't possible at this hotel, so there was a lot of uncomfortableness for me to deal with.
We visited the Mayan ruins at Takalik Abaj, which was only two kilometers from our hotel. We rode horses there because Dave wanted to and it was his birthday. (I'm not a fan of horse-back riding.) Of course, I got the horse who didn't want to cooperate. That always happens to me. (Yes, all two times that I've ridden a horse!) My horse kept walking close to trees so that the branches would hit me in the face. I'm pretty sure it was intentional. We rode through the plantation, so it was beautiful. Dave loved every minute of it.
Ok the hotel was in the JUNGLE. yes i said the JUNGLE. We were in the middle of nowhere and what was suppose to be a coffee farm looked very like what i call a jungle. I was waiting for the lion to come and take me away. The vegetation was right up to our room door. I was impressed with the room the bed and the loft was very cool. it also had a balcony with a table and chairs. I did not like that there was no electicity in the room. i did know this going in but thought i could handle it ok. Everyone should know i have not watched TV in english for almost two weeks now. i am dying. i have missed so many season finales, but i will see them all soon.
We thought we were going to be fine though. So we sit in our room looking around and we start to see a couple of bugs then a couple of more bugs and then some more bugs and we start thinking what are we doing here. Now our ride left and wouldn't be coming back until thursday at 1 (this is tuesday at 1). Ok we can do i. its going to be ok we said. Its time for lunch. I must admit i wasnt expecting much. Megan had told me it was a limited menu and not to get too excited. The menu when we get there is all in spanish, so i cant read it. so Megan reads it, and i pick Nachos and a chicken dinner. I must tell you they made everything from scratch while we were sitting there. it was amazing. some of the best food i have had anywhere. So things are looking up and i am glad to be here. then comes dinner i eat the same thing and am very happy. Sneaky Megan even had a pineapple cake made for my bday which they gave to us on the 19th instead of the 20th which is ok. it was pretty late when we got back to the room. they had put a bottle of wine from chile on the table. That was super nice, except neither of us had ever had wine before.
On to the next day, my Bday. we wake up at 6am to three men playing guitars and singing a birthday song to me. i got up and went to the door until it was finished. it was super nice of them. they all gave me a hug after they were done and wished me happy birthday. We also got to ride horses to the ruins, which was a 2 kilometer ride one way. i had a blast. i love to ride horses even though i have only done it twice now. it was fun. Megan on the other hand would have preferred to have taken the van down, but it was my bday so i won out. Megans horse was very stubborn and my horse took off trotting a few times, which for a inexperienced rider is quite frightening. It was a good bday. Then it was back to another excellent meal and to the buggy room. I do not sleep well in buggy rooms, so it was two nights of very little sleep for me. Overall it was the best and worst three days of our trip. If you want to know more I suggest you look us up later.
And some more random photos:
The restaurant
1 comment:
I can't wait for you guys to come home! I miss you!
Post a Comment