Thursday, May 14, 2009

La teraza, un mercado, y un chocolatería

Today I climbed to the VERY top of the roof of ICA. Last year I went to la teraza (rooftop terrace), but I was scared to go all the way to the top. This year I finally did it! But I probably never will again! Dave had to help me get down! Here is a photo of the terrace. The thing that says ICA has a very scary ladder on the left side.

Here's a photo of Anne and me at the top!
And one of Dave and me. Volcán Santa María should be in the empty space above my head, but the clouds were covering the whole volcano. :(
Here's a video of the view, including Edwin dancing and Anne making her way to the top.


Here's a bit from Dave about class on Tuesday:
My teacher took me to the street market. It was very interesting. Some of the stuff people were selling looked very good the other stuff lets just say did not. I bought some fried pig skin and fresh tortillas and a lime and we went to where my teachers friend was sitting and ate the stuff with her. Her friend gave me a traditional Mayan drink which i tried to drink but could not. I tried the best i could to tell her that i did not like it but they did not give up. Her friend poured me another glass and put sugar in it and said now try it. She was trying to sell this drink for money and now i was given a second glass. So i said to myself i guess i am going to have to drink this now. surprisingly the sugar really helped and i had no problems drinking the second glass. The friend also told me that I have beautiful eyes.

And here is some from Dave about class today:
Today i had no planned excursion with my teacher so i was in for a full five hours of class. My teacher is still trying to teach me even though i have not made much progress in learning. Megan did come to save the day though. she told my teacher that i wanted some chocolate drink that they make here and that she should take me somewhere to get some. Yeah we were leaving the classroom. It was cool today megans teacher had to leave early so she got to go with me and my teacher, which is a great thing because when megan is with us her and my teacher do all the talking in spanish and i sit and observe which is my specialty and what i would most rather do in class. My teacher did take us to one of her friends shops and the chocolate was very good we are going to go back there to buy chocolate to bring home and i do not plan on sharing with anyone just so i make it known to all reading.
I am looking forward to being done with class and just megan and i running around doing our own thing. it will be que bueno!!!!!

The yellow building is the chocolatería.
Tonight we're going out for pizza at Guiseppe's! I went last year and loved it. They have pizza de ajo (garlic pizza). Que rico!
Tuesday evening we had our first real soaking from the rain. My jeans are too long and they drag on the ground. By the time I arrived home for the night, my jeans had soaked up water half-way up my calves! Unless I'm taking a shower or swimming, I have a really strong preference to being dry, so I might have been a little bit cranky while I was soaked. Maybe.

Misty - It takes 7-8 Guatemala quetzales to equal one U.S. dollar. So, the Bake Shop prices are comparable to the Essenhaus. For example, a dona is $1 (and they're big just like the ones at the Essenhaus!) By the way, I bought you something today!!!

Mom - when I called you this morning, I'm glad I told you not to worry if the phone call was dropped. (I was almost out of minutes.) It was pretty ironic that I ran out of minutes immediately after telling you that I was looking at a volcano while talking to you! :)

P.S. We posted three times today! Scroll down to see the other posts!

3 comments:

Misty said...

Please I'm begging - tell me what you bought me!!! If you don't, my mind won't be able to fully focus on anything else you are writing. I must know. I just must.... :)

Mona said...

I hope Megan is more generous with the chocolate!!!!!!!!!

Mom said...

We got cut off so fast that I didn't get a chance to say bye and I love you so bye and I love you and are glad you're having a good time. Tell Dave to keep up the commentary on his view of the trip, I'm really enjoying it.