For those who don't know the details yet, I'll be participating in a summer research program specifically for undergraduate college students. It is sponsored by the National Science Foundation and hosted through the anthropology department of the University of North Texas (UNT). The campus is located in Denton, Texas, which is very close to Dallas. Here's a map for you visual people.

I was one of seven students accepted into the program this summer. We'll participate in five weeks of intensive coursework (social theory, research methodology, etc.) and then work on an independent research project (with help from a faculty mentor) for five more weeks.
I will be living in a dorm (!), but it's apartment-style, so I'll have my own bedroom. It will be like the "real" college experience that I never got to have. The dormitory is called Honors Hall. (How appropriate, huh?) You can read a little bit about it here.
The campus is humongous! (At least, compared to Goshen College.) During the school year there are over 36,000 students! Goshen has about 1,000. You can view a campus map here. Honors Hall is near the bottom of the map. Chilton Hall is where my classes will take place. It's near the middle of the map.
Some folks have asked me what I'm most excited about, and it's definitely the fact that I will be getting paid to learn and research -- it doesn't get much better than that! Of course, I've also been asked what I'm most anxious about. That question is more difficult to answer, but my greatest anxiety is probably the unknown. I've never been to Texas and don't know anyone who lives there. I'm not even exactly sure how the program is going to run! I like to plan ahead, but it's been hard to plan with so many unknowns.
I do know, though, that the program is going to be academically intensive; I've already received my first homework assignment! (For you social science nerds--and I use "nerd" in an endearing sort of way--it was a reading from Geertz about thick descriptions.)
Well, I better finish packing!
5 comments:
Very exciting first post. I cant wait for more.
Good luck sis!
Have fun and keep up posted! Can't wait to hear about the classes. I want pictures too.
Can't wait to see how thing go. Good luck and study hard(like you wouldn't). Do you have a cousin that lives in Texas(Aunt Sharon's daughter)
Awesome! Thanks for all the links. Can't wait to read more... and more.... and MORE!
Post a Comment