Monday, June 6, 2011

Wow! It's hot!

I've been in Texas for an entire day now, and it sure is hot! It's 95 degrees right now; the high for tomorrow is 98. And the folks who are from here keep taunting me (in a friendly sort of way) that it's only going to get hotter!

My flight yesterday went just fine, and I got moved into my dorm room without any problems. Here is a photo of the outside of Honors Hall, which is where I'm living.
And a couple photos of my room. (Yes, I packed a couple of my paintings.)
The entire group, which includes seven students, three program coordinators, and the director, ate a casual dinner together last night. There was immediate camaraderie -- everyone is going to get along just fine. Over half of them are extremely extroverted, though, which I find amusing.

Today was our first day of class, but it was mostly orientation-related things. We took a (hot!) campus walking tour, and I got some nice group and individual photos in front of the UNT sign.
First row (left to right): Martha, me, Candice, Khalia, and Jody
Second row: Carlos and Juan

All three guys are nontraditional age students; in fact, we range in age from 20 to 40! The age diversity has made the group more comfortable for me.

We also took a tour of the library. There are actually rows and rows of books that are specifically in the field of anthropology! And I found several related to tourism and economic development. It was like heaven!

And we received our readings for the first five weeks -- holy crap! It's these two books and all the photocopies of articles in the binder.
I'm not sure if the photo does justice for the binder -- it's full! So, ya'll should have mercy on me if I only blog every few days; I've got work to do! (And, yes, I typed "ya'll" on purpose!)

So, in summary, I'm enjoying myself and I'm academically stimulated. But it sure is hot!

6 comments:

Dave said...

Well Texas doesnt have much on good ol Indiana. Its suppose to be 92 here tomorrow. Everyone looks nice. I am glad you are comfortable. It looks like a good group. I am glad you have plenty to keep you busy it will keep your mind going. The library sounds exciting for you I bet you were in heaven. Its good to see you smiling. I am not quite convinced that the ya"ll was on purpose either :) Love Dave.

Mom said...

You would be saying the same thing if you were here. For us, this temp. is to much. Looks like you're going to be busy. Don't get to tired studying, cause Dave and I are looking forward to him beating you butt at our game nights. Glad your having a good time now but we will see what you say after your there for awhile.Stay safe. love you, mom

Misty said...

I see a sink...is there a toilet in there too?...

Meguita said...

Misty - yep, there is a sink in my bedroom. It's kind of an awkward set up. The bathroom, which is where the toilet is located, is separate from the bedrooms, but there's no sink in the bathroom. We each have a separate sink in our bedroom. It's weird.

Tamara said...

Hi Megan!

good to read your updates! I think it's actually less hot than both Texas and Indiana in Nica right now. We've been enjoying cool breezes....although lots of flies.

I'm so glad to hear the group looks like it is going to be good....fabulous news!
be well,
Tamara

IT Girl Mary said...

Ahem... "y'all" as opposed to "ya'll." It's short for you all. Just so you know... in the South, All Y'all is plural, while y'all is singular.

I can't believe you brought paintings! That's adorable.

And holy binder, Batman! Those look like fun textbooks, though...