Friday, June 10, 2011

"Intensive" may not be the most accurate word

When I applied for the program, as well as when I was accepted, I was warned that it was "intensive." I'm not sure that's the most accurate description. Based on the five days I've been here, I'm already prepared to call it "ridiculously intensive." Or even better yet, "exhaustive and exhausting."

But don't worry, I'm still glad I'm here.

Let me give you an idea of what a day is like in this "intensive" program. Breakfast begins at 8am. Morning class is from 9am-12pm and then lunch is from 12pm to 1:30pm. Afternoon class goes from 1:30 to 5pm.

That sounds intensive, right? But probably not ridiculously intensive, right?

Well, after class we have to work on our homework for the following day. We usually have at least 100 pages to read (and it's not like we're reading easy-to-read novels!) and then at least two homework assignments. On average the homework has taken me about eight hours each day. I'll let you do the math, but trust me, I'm not going to bed anywhere near my usual 9pm. It feels like boot camp for graduate school.

The pace doesn't allow me to work anywhere near as deliberately (and perfectly) as I'm used to. It's been difficult to have to read articles very quickly while simultaneously understanding them thoroughly enough to be able to engage in conversation about them. (By the way, I actually do talk in class here!)

I've also had to adjust to receiving criticism regularly. Generally in school I'm used to being told what a great job I did. Here, it's more like, "You did a great job on this one thing, but here are ten things that you can work to improve for next time." Yikes! Of course, the criticism is offered in a positive way so that I can grow--and I do appreciate it--but it still takes some adjusting to get used to it!

The group of students is incredibly diverse, especially considering there are only seven of us. For example, we have a California Valley girl. (Literally. She goes to school in Fresno, lives in "The Valley," and says "like" about every other word!) Then there's a girl from a poor neighborhood in Philadelphia. Three students are Latino, but two of them are often mistaken as non-Latino because of their light-colored skin. Two students are Black but one of them has skin the same color as me. Two students are gay. Four of us are 27 years old or older. Three are from Texas, but there's also one student from the West coast, two from the East coast, and me from the Midwest. One student is a parent. Several religions are represented. Two have served in the military. You get the picture. The diversity has been amazing. I'm really enjoying getting to know everyone and listening to their perspectives.

This is Chilton Hall where we meet for class
Our classroom is only accessible from the outside of the building, so we have to awkwardly walk through the building's loading dock to reach the door.
The classroom has a large round table where we sit, discuss, listen, argue, debate, laugh, and learn.
Wednesday we did our first practice observation and write up. We had to find somewhere on campus, hang out for an hour, jot notes about what we observed (everything from the spacial layout of the location to the way in which people interacted), and then type up the notes up in "Megan-style" detail. I observed at this fountain area.
Tomorrow we're taking a field trip to the Fort Worth Stock Yards, which is a huge area where they used to sell and slaughter livestock. It should be an interesting trip for this vegetarian. We'll work on our second observation assignment at the Stock Yards. We'll be there for three hours observing and jotting notes and then we have to type up detailed field notes. Bev (the program director) said we should plan to spend about three hours typing up field notes for every one hour we spend "in the field" observing. I think you now know what I'll be doing on Sunday. (Plus the other readings and homework that are due on Monday!)

Anyway, y'all need to take it easy on me if I'm not posting very often! Oh, and the "y'all" is coming out of my mouth regularly now. :)

I'll leave you with a random photo of a sign I saw at the car wash last night. I couldn't believe it said buddy! :)

4 comments:

Dave said...

Thats Awesome that the sign said buddy. I cant wait to hear you say y'all.
The homework does sound ridiculous but I think you handle the "ridiculous" extremely well. I mean you do live with me :) Be careful to not observe where they slaughter the stock. That would not go well with you. Good luck sounds like you need some. Dave.

Misty said...

My sister is a BRAIN : )

Mom said...

Meg., I tried to write to you on Saturday but there was no word verification. How is the heat? It has finally cooled down here but not sure for how long. I'm glad when you went on your field trip that they aren't slaughtering animals there any more. Take care and write when you can. I check everyday just incase. Good luck, sounds like you have your hands full right now. love you. mom

IT Girl Mary said...

Hold it, Buddy. lol!

I'm pretty sure that's going to be the new catch phrase around here for all us Megan-lovers.

Your program colleagues sound really awesome. How cool that you get to experience such a diverse group. Is that adding to the opinions you hear when you're all discussing things together? That's got to be fun.

Miss you!