Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Hello, Guatemala!

Tomorrow I leave to spend two weeks in my beloved Guatemala!

I'll spend most of my time in Xela, like usual, and I'll live with the Muñoz family again this year. I met them during my first trip to Guate because Pedro Muñoz was my Spanish teacher. Dave chose not to join me this year, so I'll be traveling by myself. We're both just fine with that decision. :)

Here's a brief itinerary:
June 10: fly to Guate, spend the night at Casa de Familia
June 11: take the bus to Xela
June 12: ???
June 13: climb a mountain called La Muela
June 14-18: attend ICA, the Spanish language school
June 19: ???
June 20: hopefully climb a volcano (no, Mom, not an active one!)
June 21: leave Xela and spend two night in Antigua, stay at Casa Cristina
June 22: sightsee in Antigua
June 23: fly back home

Guatemala has had a rough couple of weeks leading up to my trip. First, Volcano Pacaya erupted and dumped volcanic black sand all over Guatemala City. Then tropical storm Agatha let loose over the entire country. There was extreme flooding and numerous landslides. Parts of Xela had three feet of standing water! Here's a photo from Xela:


And have you seen that huge sinkhole in Guatemala City?! So very weird. This picture looks fake, but it's really there. Google it to see more photos.

Over 200,000 people were forced to leave their homes as a result of the volcano and the storm. But the country has been hard at work in the clean up process. My trip shouldn't be affected by any of this, other than seeing some of the devastation. Well, that and the fact that I was planning to climb Volcano Pacaya -- not anymore!

By the way, this trip is being funded completely from the proceeds of my art sale last year. So, if you participated in the show in any way, muchas gracias!

2 comments:

IT Girl Mary said...

can't wait to read the rest of your blogs for this trip!

Misty said...

Ok that hole thing is too weird!