After breakfast I left Xela to spend two nights in Antigua. I had to say lots of good-byes, and I think it’s safe to say that the Muñoz family was not ready for me to leave. Both Mayra and Edy made me promise to come back soon, to stay longer the next time, and to bring Dave with me again! :)
I arrived in Antigua around noon. The hotel I’m staying at is called Casa Cristina. I splurged for a room on the third floor. And by “splurge,” I mean that I spent $37/night instead of the usual $22. Yep, I’m serious. And check out the view of Volcan Agua from my window.
Also, Antigua is a tourist town and the tourists are everywhere! I honestly think there are just as many tourists as there are local people. In Guatemala there are a lot of towns with names that end in "tenango." For example: Quetzaltenango, Huehuetenango, Jocotenango, Chichicastenango... you get the idea. Well, Pedro told me that Guatemalans refer to Antigua as Gringotenango since there are so many tourists here. Now I understand!
I ate lunch at a restaurant called Café Condesa, which is partially indoors and partially outside. I had a cheese, avocado, and tomato sandwich with a side salad and a mango smoothie. One of my goals for my time in Antigua is to eat as many avocados and mangos as possible. So far, so good. :)
Here are a few other various photo from around the city. Tomorrow I'm taking a walking tour of the city, so I'm sure I'll have many more photos to post tomorrow.
6 comments:
Your room looks very nice and I love, love love the view. Imagine waking up to that every day. Enjoy your last days there and we'll see you when you get home. love, mom
I love the last picture!!!! And yes, I do READ what you write, but I'm a visual learner. : )
Looks very nice. I love the view from your room.
Hay Miguita, que bonitos paisajes estas disfrutando. I wish I can be there with you! It looks so beautiful.
Rocio Sr.
the room looks beautiful! and oh my, that sandwich looks amazing. the anthropology of poverty sounds super interesting... but um, couldn't you have picked something a little more simple to read in spanish? lol maybe like peter pan? lol
oh hey, i forgot to ask... do we know what tenango means? is there a reason it's on the end of a bunch of cities names?
Post a Comment