Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Spanish class and chocolate cafes

Hello everyone!

My Spanish classes started yesterday and everything is going well. I'm studying with Edwin. He was my teacher last year and is a good buddy. We tend to get into deep conversations during class, which I enjoy. For example, we've already discussed the role of women in Guatemala and in development, racism in the US and Guatemala, the results of the recent tropical storm and the ways to best help those who need assistance, as well as numerous topics surrounding religion and Christianity. And we've only had two days of class so far!

Edwin spent three weeks in the US last month, and we also chatted about his trip. He talked about how difficult a process it is to obtain a visa to even be allowed to visit the US: fees, interviews, paperwork, etc. It was interesting to compare that to what I did in order to enter Guatemala: show up and let them scan my passport.

I also found it interesting when Edwin commented about how flat the land was in the city he visited in the US. He thought it was pretty cool. Meanwhile, I look at the mountains in Guatemala and long to have them in northern Indiana! It's a good example of how things that you're accustomed to seem normal and non-exciting, but things that are different seem intriguing and exciting. It reminds me of Amish tourism in northern Indiana. It seems silly to me because I see a horse and buggy frequently, but for people who aren't used to seeing the Amish, it seems worth visiting.

The family has another student living with them now. His name is Kelvin, and he's a med student from Washington DC. He's pretty cool. He only knows a limited amount of Spanish, so I've been doing a fair amount of translating during meals. I've been able to show him around a bit, which he found helpful and made me feel like an experienced traveler. :)

Over the weekend I taught Kelvin and Pedro how to play Dutch Blitz. They both learned quickly! We've had a lot of fun playing in the evenings after dinner. For those of you who don't know, I'm pretty much the Queen of Dutch Blitz (not to brag or anything!) :) Well, last night Pedro beat me for the first time and he thinks he's pretty darn awesome now.

As I mentioned before, the World Cup is taking place now, and Guatemalans love futbol. I find it amusing the way they celebrate when a gol (goal) is scored. It doesn't matter where they are either. It happens here at home and it hear it when I'm walking in the street. After a gol is scored, they yell, "Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooollllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll!" That wasn't an exaggeration.

Today is Tuesday and if you've followed this blog in the past, you know what that means: El Bake Shop! I visited the Mennonite bakery today and bought a galleta (cookie) and a pineapple donut. I also had the pleasure of introducing a few other students to the bakery. (You can read about my first trip to El Bake Shop here.)

I've also visited two chocolaterias (hot chocolate/coffee cafes) in the past two days, once with Pedro and once with Edwin. The hot chocolate here is rich and tastes amazing. The cafe I went to with Edwin today was also a museum of various things related to Guatemalan culture and history. And the menus were made out of old record albums! It had a really cool, calm ambiance.
Yesterday I enjoyed a visit to the rooftop of the school. Here are a few photos of Xela and the countryside from the rooftop.

The "hill" in the middle-left of the photo below is called El Baul. Personally, I would call it a small mountain, but to the Guatemalans, it's just a hill. Anyway, I'm going to climb it on Thursday. Oh yeah, and I'm going to climb to a lookout point this Sunday. Did I mention that my legs still hurt from the volcano climb last Sunday? I'm not quite sure what's gotten in to me...
Well, I'm off to listen to a lecture about the Guatemalan civil war!

10 comments:

Mom said...

I'm not sure what has gotten in you either, make sure you can do it with out hurting yourself. Did you read my last comment?

Misty said...

Let's not forget your little sis is a chocoholic...mmmkay? : ) I think the first picture from the rooftop is the prettiest one I've seen so far. I just love that one! Take it easy down there girlie - like mom said - don't hurt yourself!

Dave said...

First of all did you have a type o? It hear it. Maybe I hear it? Couldnt resist:) Second of all Queen of Dutch Blitz. Only because your married to the King. And good job Pedro beat her again.

Meguita said...

Well, I'm definitely not taking it easy, but I'll be fine! I might need a vacation after my vacation, though!

And, Bonham, I find it quite humorous that your comment about my TYPO contains a TYPO! :)

IT Girl Mary said...

Wow, that chocolate looks SOOOOOOO good! I might have to take a trip with you one of these days, just to taste the chocolate and visit El Bake Shop! lol You look so beautiful in that pic with your hair down.

mom said...

Meg., in the blog that didn't come through I was trying to tell you that I'm proud of you for climbing the volcano and asking you if it was safe to walk that far by youself? Once a mother always a mother. love you. mom

Darkside said...

Can I just say in response to you and Dave - OH SNAP! : )

Meguita said...

Mom - thanks! And yes, the 45 minute walk is pretty safe. It would be like walking the streets of South Bend during the daytime. I am rarely out after it's dark.

Misty - LOL!

Deanna Risser said...

Enjoyed reading your blog so far! Can I just say how jealous I am??? If you don't take Dave along next time, can I go instead?

Glad you are spreading the love for Dutch Blitz throughout the world!

Betty said...

How quickly you forget who the real queen of Dutch Blitz is?!!!

After seeing the chocolate shops, I'm almost convinced that maybe I really do want to visit Guatemala! I love living vicariously through you!!!

Betty Boop (AKA Queen)