Friday was my last day of class and during the second half Edwin and I met Pedro at a cafe to chat and hang out. Because Pedro doesn't work at ICA anymore, he and Edwin had a lot to talk about.

Honestly, most of the time that they were talking I had no idea what was going on. It's the same when I'm sitting at the dinner table and two or three people are talking (very quickly!) at the same time. I get frustrated with myself when I have trouble understanding people. I know I need to be more gentle with myself--I'm still learning--but it's still frustrating.
After snacks and hot chocolate at the cafe, I had to tell Edwin good-bye. :(

On Friday I actually experienced a little bit of homesickness. I think it's the first time that's ever happened to me! But on Saturday morning I had some much needed alone time. I'm doing much better now and looking forward to the last couple days of my trip.
Saturday afternoon and evening the Munoz family took me to see the house they are building in a
pueblo called San Martin, about a 30 minute drive from Xela. It was a really pretty drive.

The plan is for Mayra and Edy to move here when they retire. The exterior of the house is actually concrete (like most houses in Guate), but they had it shaped to look like a wood cabin. I think that's pretty cool.

The master bedroom is on the second floor and has a large patio off of it. The mountain photo below is the view from the bedroom!


Pedro and I walked around the town a bit and then we all hung out at the house. Mayra made some hot chocolate and they bought some local tamales for dinner. The family taught me how to play a game called
Decimales (decimals) with dominoes, and I won once! (Oh, and for the record, Pedro and I have played six games of Dutch Blitz since the one time he beat me, and he has lost miserably every single time!) :)
We took some photos of me with the family before we left. It was a fun, relaxing day.


3 comments:
The house looks very nice. I'm sure they will probably enjoy retiring there. Who wouldn't, the view is beautiful. Have a safe trip home.
I love that house!
awwww, it's so cute to hear you say you're homesick....
Post a Comment