Friday, July 29, 2011

More farms and a vineyard

I am FINALLY done transcribing all of my interviews! And it's a good thing since my final paper is due in 12 days!

My interviews went really well overall. There was only one interview that felt awkward through the whole thing. The other six were just fine. I did an excellent job of selecting farmers with different backgrounds, perspectives, and values--they are all very, very different from one another!

Here are a few photos from my last three interviews:
Farming using raised beds
Well, hello there! I got to feed this cow... and got cow slobber all over my hand.
At the vineyard and winery. It was a very lovely place.
Rows of wine grapes (and dead grass)
She let me taste one of the wine grapes--it was delicious! Super sweet and much more flavorful than a regular grape
The ground is cracking because it's so dry
But it actually rained somewhere in Texas!
And just in case you think I've been exaggerating about how crazy the highways are... and the traffic isn't bad at all in this shot
Downtown Dallas
And seriously, folks, I don't even want to hear about the one-week heat wave you had in Indiana!
My research is going fairly well. This weekend I'll start seriously analyzing my interview transcripts and reviewing the responses I received to my survey. (The last I checked, I had 75 survey responses. Of course, I want more than that, but it's about a 20% response rate, which is often typical.)

I actually already have about 10 pages of my final paper written already. I'm still working about 12 hours every day. I'm not going to know what to do with myself when I get back home! And I come home two weeks from today!

4 comments:

Dave said...

Cow slobber hilarious. The vineyard looks really cool and the grapes look good also. Great job having 10 pages done. As far as what you will do with yourself how about plenty of Dave and Megan time before you start school. Lots of Games,walking, talking, togetherness and whatever else we can think of. Just as long as were together will be good enough for me.

Mom said...

Glad to hear that your paper is going good and to hear you will be home soon. I think Dave has the right idea for you two but don't forget Mom for game night. Thanks for the email.

Misty said...

I would have puked if a cow slobbered on me! Ewww! I can't stand dog slobber, let alone cow slobber! I do love the vineyard pics - very pretty!

IT Girl Mary said...

lol That was exactly how I felt when I first moved to Indiana: stop complaining! It gets hot for a week or two here, it's TWO MONTHS STRAIGHT in Texas!

Can't wait till you come home!