Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The research can officially begin!

Today I finally received my official approval to begin my research. Woo hoo! And it's a good thing--the first draft of my paper is due next week! Several other students in the program are still waiting for their approval...

I haven't posted much lately... If you're wondering what I've been up to, I can assure you that it hasn't included any leisure activities! We're doing full-time research now, so I have been spending at least 10-12 hours each day reading about research that is similar to mine and planning my own research.

My research will include:
- a web site content analysis for 40(?) agritourism operations
- an online survey emailed to 400 agritourism operations
- in person interviews with 5-8 farm/ranch/vineyard owners

I had the survey already prepared, and I sent it out this afternoon as soon as I received my approval to go ahead with my research. I've already received 22 responses! (By the way, Anita, I created the survey with Qualtrics! It was so nice that I already knew how to use the software.)

I'm looking forward to the interviews because I'm going to actually visit the farms/ranches. That will get me out of my room, and it will be fun and helpful to my research for me to experience the land and the activities in person. (Of course, I'm also dreading the interviews because I will have to talk to people that I don't know!)

I'm pretty exhausted already, but it's going to get worse. It's hard to believe that four weeks from today I will turn in my final 25+ page paper and give a formal presentation about my research. Pretty soon I'll probably be doing more than 10-12 hours of work each day--yikes!

Wish me luck.

5 comments:

Misty said...

That is awesome sis!! Congrats! If you go to any vineyards...take lots of pics if you can. Are there vineyards in TX?

Meguita said...

There are LOTS of vineyards in Texas! I invited two vineyards to participate in an interview with me, so hopefully I'll be able to visit at least one. :)

Dave said...

Wow. You still have a lot of work to do. I wish I could travel to some of the places with you. Congrats on being approved. I hope you can keep it at 25 pages :) The survey looks nice and professional also. Oh yeah GOOD LUCK!!!!!

IT Girl Mary said...

25 pages? That's NOTHING for you! lol

You're going to do so great on these last few weeks. I can't wait to read your paper.

Be brave confronting those Texas farmers! I'm sure there will be some good stories to follow!

Launa Rohrer said...

Cool, Megan...! Your project sounds very interesting. Who knows, perhaps you can spring from this for some projects for school this fall? :) All the best to you in your work.