I get to come home in five days! I cannot even express how excited I am. First of all, I'll get to see my family and my good buddies. Second, I'll be done with this paper. And third, I will get to feel a temperature below 80 degrees for the first time in six weeks!
In case you've missed receiving regular weather reports from me, let me offer you a quick update. It's still hot here. In fact, Dallas (which I'm about 30 minutes north of) is today experiencing it's 36th consecutive day of 100+ degree temperatures. Yes, the last time the daily high temperature did not reach 100 degrees was July 1 -- over a month ago! The city is on pace to break its previous record of 42 days in a row. So, I'm not exaggerating when I tell you that it's hot.
It's also dry. Very dry. Except for the one freak thunderstorm that I drove through two weeks ago, I haven't seen it rain in Texas for eight weeks now. Weather.com posted five poignant photographs that show the effects of the drought. Click here to read it.
I have a busy couple days ahead of me. We're giving poster presentations about our research on Wednesday morning. We designed 30" x 42" posters with the highlights of our research and they are at the print shop right now getting printed. During the poster presentations, we have to dress professionally (which I haven't done in over nine weeks now!), stand in front of our posters, and answer any questions that people have or tell them more about our research. I'm not sure how many people will attend, but I know the anthropology department is attempting to coerce as many people as possible to stop by! I'm a little nervous about it, but I think it will be okay. This will be my first time giving a professional academic presentation... but I already have a good amount of presentation experience from teaching classes and workshops on how to write resumes!
On Wednesday our final paper is also due. Mine is currently 41 pages. And I'm still writing. But that probably doesn't surprise anyone who's reading this blog. :) The longest paper I've ever written before this one was 35 pages. This one is almost getting too long to manage. I finished the draft of my *discussion* section this morning; it took quite a bit of energy to write, but I'm sure that's normal. I'm exhausted, but I'm excited about my paper too. It's definitely coming together.
Then Thursday is packing, exit interviews, and meeting with the editor for the journal where my paper will be published. By the way, it's an online journal, so I can send the link to anyone who wants it after it's available online. (I believe it will be up sometime in September).
And Friday morning, I say good-bye to my Texas buddies and leave for Indiana. I'm pretty sure I've never been this excited to come home to Indiana! :)
I'll probably post one more time with photos from the poster presentation.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
It is really funny to see you excited about coming home. Its funny to think of 80 being a cool temperature also. The weather .com photos were pretty amazing especially the storm that dissapered. I cant belive how long your paper is either. 5 days go quick.
Have you ever thought about writing a book? : )
Can't wait to have ya home sis!
Good luck on your presentation Megan - I'm sure you'll be fabulous!!!
are you going to wear orange??
Good Luck but I have to say I'm glad you're coming home. Don't forget game night. Whats Misty talking about, that IS a book.
Woot! So glad you're coming home soon. And I still can't wait to read that paper (YES! I want the link, duh). Are the temperatures still above 100? I'm wondering if they beat their record this year.
Post a Comment