Today we visited Chankanaab Ecological Park. Imagine a combination of Sea World + a national park + a beach along a living coral reef -- that's Chankanaab.

Upon Dave's request, we watched the sea lion show, which was actually pretty cute.

We also walked around the park a bit. There is a tropical garden and some replicas of Mayan ruins. We were standing on a wooden overlook checking out the saltwater lagoon when we heard something scampering behind. We turned around to find this fellow.

Then we headed over to the beach and water for some snorkeling. Here are photos of today's spot.



The fish are everywhere at Chankanaab. Check out this photo. These are the stairs to get into the water and you can already see fish! (These are babies.)

Chankanaab has a good amount of living coral, and it draws lots of fish. Here are a few photos of what we saw, but the photos are nothing compared to the real thing. The camera really picks up the blue in the water; the other colors are much more vibrant than the photos show.



This small blue spotted fish was one of our favorites.

I was surprised to see three lionfish while we were snorkeling! They are a poisonous (but not deadly!) fish that are occasionally spotted around Cozumel. I had never seen one before. Of course, I didn't tell Dave about them until he was done snorkeling!
I've included two photos of the lionfish below. I don't expect you to really be able to see them but, if you really want to, then first google "lionfish" to get an idea of what you're looking for. In the first photo, there's one lionfish. It's almost in the middle, just a little off to the right. (Remember, click the photo to enlarge.) In the second photo there are two. Both were sitting in the coral. Again, almost right in the middle with one a little above the center of the photo and one a little below center. They are amazing looking fish.


We got out of the water to rest for awhile and then I went snorkeling again later on by myself. Good thing, too, because I saw a stingray! Dave would have freaked out. First I saw it swimming and was able to take a short video.
Then I found it again later just laying in the coral. I was about 15 feet above it, and it let me just hover over it for about five minutes. Very, very cool.

Based on the title of this blog entry, along with what you've read so far, you're likely thinking that one of these creatures stung either Dave or me. Nope. That would have been far too logical of an ouch. No, this *ouch* was much more Megan-like. And, if I would have been paying more attention, it wouldn't have happened at all. It's moderately embarrassing, too, but far too hilarious to not share with you.
The ouch involves a sunburn... in a place that shouldn't ever get burnt. First, let me remind you that I am a vigilant sunblock user. But, apparently, while I was snorkeling for a good two hours today, my bathing suit bottom was... ahem... "riding up"... and it appears that I was way too enthralled by the glorious underwater world to notice it. And, well, I didn't put sunblock
there because, well, it shouldn't have been necessary. So now, yes, I have an interesting burn line on my back side, if you know what I mean. And boy does it hurt! Well, there. I hope you got a good laugh out of it. Dave sure has.
Dinner tonight was at Del Sur an Argentinean empanada restaurant.
Delicioso!

We each ate several
empanadas (fried pastry filled with something). And they were done right -- not too greasy. Dave's favorite was bacon, cheese, and plum -- sounds gross, and he wasn't too sure about trying it, but he loved it. My favorite was a veggie one with corn, carrot, and onion. But the dessert
empanadas were even better! Our favorite was
dulce de leche (caramel), but we also had an apple cinnamon one, a chocolate banana, and a
membrillo-filled one (kind of like peach).


And, Misty, here's another dorky Dave photo to add to your collection. He bought a swim cap because his head is sun burnt. This is his Michael Phelps impersonation.

Dave here
Michael and I could be twins. I can hardly tell the difference. I snorkeled for the longest time in my life today. it was great. I dont wear the traditional snorkel mask. they always leak on me. I bought some good goggles and wear a nose plug. While I was getting ready to get in the water putting my nose plug on, One of the rubber pads came off and of course fell in the water never to be seen again. I had to wear it without it and the one side dug into my nose. that is my ouch for the day. I do agree megans ouch was much worse though. i called her my Cherry Bonham HEHEHEHE! ")
4 comments:
Two words - Cherry Bonham!!!!!! I'm dying laughing right now!
Sounds like your having a great time. The views are beautiful. Now besides having a darkside in the family we have a Cherry Bonham. At least we are original. Leave the stingrays alone---okay?
Wow - I love the empty beach. Looks relaxing! I have never been snorkeling - will have to go sometime. Looks like you are having a good time. Enjoy the sun and warmth!
What happened to your blog for Wednesday, I got home from work and thought I would see what you've been up to and nothing. Get with it child. After the weather we have here, I look forward to your pictures. Have fun and get home safely.
Post a Comment