I'll only get to post a couple times when I'm in Mexico, so I thought I'd offer an overview of our itinerary. Many of the lectures are by anthropologists, which of course, makes me thrilled!
If you look at the hotel web sites, be prepared to not be impressed. They will be nice, but nothing fancy. No air-conditioning and at least one doesn't have hot water. That will be a new experience for me.
Saturday, May 3
-Fly from Fort Wayne to Mexico City (with a layover in Dallas)
-Arrive and have a welcome luncheon at the Hotel Gillow
-Lecture: Cultural Comparisons between Mexico and the USA
-Free evening to explore
Sunday, May 4
-Visit the Basilica of Guadelupe (most important religious building in Mexico)
-Eat lunch at the House of Tiles
-Travel to the city of Cuernavaca and stay at the Hotel Villa Lourdes
Monday, May 5 (not too much scheduled today because it's Cinco de Mayo)
-Overview of Cemanahauc (the language school that coordinated our visit, pronounced se-man-a-wok)
-Lecture: Overview of Mexico - Economic, Political, and Social
-Free afternoon to explore Cuernavaca
Tuesday, May 6
-Travel to Buenavista de Cuellar for the day (a small indigenous village)
-Visit a maquiladora (factory/sweat-shop) and maybe a school
-Lecture: Corn in Mesoamerica (and we get to make corn tortillas from scratch...or perhaps I should say attempt to make them!)
Wednesday, May 7
-Walking tour and history of Cuernavaca
-Visit the VAMOS social service agency
-Lecture: Current Events in Mexico
Thursday, May 8
-Lecture: Aspects of Health and Safety in Rural Mexico; Issues in an Indigenous Community
-Head back to Mexico City
-Go to the US Embassy for a briefing (this is a big deal and security is pretty tight)
-Lecture: Mexico from a Business Perspective
Friday, May 9
-Visit the Plaza of Three Cultures and Teotihuacan (check out these photos!)
-Farewell dinner
Saturday, May 10
-Head back home :(
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hey sis!
I'm so proud of you. I hope you have an awesome week in Mexico! I can't wait to see you when you get back! Love you! Be safe!
Post a Comment