Okay, okay. I know I'm such a mean, horrible sister. How in the world could I tell Misty that I got her something and not tell her what it is.....fully knowing that it would absolutely drive her crazy? I guess it's just fun. :)
Yesterday we had a relaxing afternoon, which was much needed. I swam in the pool at the B & B and then relaxed in my room for awhile. (Of course, since I forgot to bring my bathing suit, I had to swim in my pajamas. That was interesting!) Some others went to visit a social service agency that is similar to the Boy & Girls Club in the US. They were very impressed. Instead of going back into town for dinner, a few of us ordered a pizza from Pizza Hut! (Dave, does that have to count as fast food?) :) It wasn't the greatest, but it was funny to eat pizza in Mexico. Then I called Dave and we talked for awhile. I was doing fine at not missing him until I talked to him. :( Love you, baby.
I'm feeling much better today. That's good....really good.
We had a special speaker in Cuernavaca this morning. Her name was Susan, and she has worked with a small indigenous village in Mexico for 11 years now. There's about 6,000 people living there and they struggle every day to get enough food to eat. They also have a water source that's contaminated with arsenic and lead. It's a very sad community. Many of the men are alcoholics and they beat their wives. The women have many, many children, but they often don't have money to buy food for all of them. In addition, birth defects and stillborn births are far too common. She said that when she started working with the people and she would ask the women what their dreams are, they wouldn't have any answer for her. They simply didn't have enough hope to even imagine that their lives would ever be any different than they are now. That hit me pretty hard because I'm a girl who never stops dreaming.
The work Susan has done has been slow, but helpful. They've built clean toilets and helped some of the women start a business selling their woven baskets. (The same kind this particular group of people have created for thousands of years.) They've also started some schools so that the children can at least have a 3rd grade education and they have a free exchange program where people can exchange their traditional clay pots (that are full of lead) for safe ones to cook in. She said it's important to bring about change only as fast as the people are ready to change.
It made me (and everyone else) realize just how fortunate I am. I don't have to fight for clean water. I don't have to drink water with sewage in it. I don't have to wonder if I'll find firewood to be able to cook food today. Susan said she hates it when people call her a saint for the work she does, because it gets them off the hook. She said she's just like everyone else, and everyone has something they can do to help. The truth is that pollution crosses borders. What's happening in Mexico affects us in the US more than we imagine. I'm looking forward to discovering what my part is and taking an active role. I'd like to encourage each of you to do the same.
Okay, a less serious topic. We traveled from Cuernavaca back to Mexico City this afternoon. (That was the nauseous ride through the mountains.) Then we visited the US Embassy and learned about what the US government is doing in Mexico. It was incredibly intriguing. I had such a negative view of the US government, especially regarding relations to Mexico, so it was really important for me to see and meet these people who really do care. Dave, prepare yourself....I might want to work in the Department of Foreign Service when I "grow up." (Yeah, I know, we can fight about that later.) :) Funny story while we were there: in the middle of the briefing the embassy workers were introducing themselves and one man said he's the guy who would help us if we did something illegal and got arrested in Mexico. So, Odelet leans over and points at me right in front of everyone and tells them to keep an eye on me! Nice, Odelet! :) (Of course, I pointed right back at her!)
We have a long day tomorrow of hiking ruins. I'm looking forward to it, though. I'm sure I will absolutely be in awe.
One of the guys in our group is from Guatemala, so I've been able to get some tips on what to do and see while I'm there in July.
I'm sure there's more to say, but once again, there's a line. This might be my last post, but if I can, I'll write again.
By the way, Misty, I bought you a pair of handmade leather sandals...although I tried them on last night and I'm very afraid that they won't fit, so don't get too excited.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Awwwwww, sis! Are you just saying that because YOU want them????
I'm glad to hear about all the things you've seen and learned down there. My sissy is so smart. : )
megan! you shouldn't have told her! lol. gotta keep the suspense. hey, i got a new cell phone number. see what happens when you leave the country? it sounds like you're having a great time. can't wait to have you back though :) and i can't wait to see PICTURES!
Post a Comment