Monday, May 5, 2008

First Update

Hello there! I am finally writing, but it will be a little short because there´s only one computer and already a line of people wanting to use it. Here´s a brief day by day:

Saturday:
Both our flights were delayed and our luggage did not come with us to Mexico. Luckily we got it on Sunday. I was absolutely amazed at just how big the city is when we flew over it. It´s HUGE! I got sick the first night from the altitude. Mexico City is about 7,000 to 8,000 feet above sea level. I was extremely dizzy and out of breath. I was also dehydrated. It´s not safe to drink the water here, so you have to drink bottled water, which means to have to find somewhere to buy bottled water. After arriving at the airport, we took a wrong turn and couldn't find where to make a report about our lost luggage. We learned first-hand about the helpfulness of Mexicans, including how they would rather give you a wrong answer than not be helpful. We had to ask several people before we finally ended up in the right place. We had dinner and then walked around the zocalo (a huge open outdoor downtown area). There was an Aztec festival going on, so we got to watch traditional dances and see their traditional clothing.

Sunday:
We had an archaeologist as a tour guide today and we visited several ancient sites, including the Plaza of Three Cultures. I have some great photos, but unfortunately I didn't bring the cord to upload them! I´ll show you all later. We also visited the Basilica of Guadelupe and saw thousands of people who had come to worship on Sunday morning. We were definitely outcasts there because it´s not a tourist location. Many people stared at us. Two people asked to have their picture taken with Odelet! We´re teasing her than she´s a celebrity. :) We were begged to purchase things. There´s people all over the streets selling things.

Then we took a bus ride to Cuernevaca. We traveled right over the mountains. (You would´ve loved it, Misty) It was so beautiful! We also saw a lot of poverty and people living in places that I wouldn´t even want to walk in. We traveled up over 9,000 feet and then down to 5,000 feet right now. We´re staying in a B & B with no air conditioning and it is HOT. It was about 88 degrees in our rooms last night! I didn´t sleep so well. Several of us got sunburnt, too, including me. If you´re wondering, I´ve been able to eat just fine, and I haven´t had to eat meat yet. We´ll see how long that will continue.

Well, I better go, although there´s much more to say. Hopefully I can update this again in the next day or two. Bye!

1 comment:

IT Girl Mary said...

I'm ITCHING for another update! Come OOOOOON Meeegheeee!

Miss you!