Thursday, March 8, 2012

Costa Rica, here I come!

Tomorrow morning I head to Costa Rica! I'll be traveling with about 20 other students for a class called Building Sustainable Communities in Central America. I've been looking forward to this trip for a long time--before I even transferred to IUSB!

Costa Rica is a small country in Central America. This will be the furthest south that I've ever been.

We'll fly in to the Liberia airport and stay in the northwest portion of the country. (That's the top, left in this map.)
Here's an overview of the itinerary:
Friday, March 9 - two flights, a long bus ride, and we'll eventually arrive at Monteverde Reserve. It's a cloud forest (imagine a foggy rainforest) and one of the most popular natural parks in the country. We'll go on a night hike.

March 10 - Today we'll continue exploring Monteverde. I'll go on a hanging bridge tour through the forest. Then I'll visit the Butterfly Garden. Afterward, we'll travel to Arenal Volcano, which is one of the most active volcanoes in the world. We'll relax in some natural hot springs and, hopefully, watch an eruption. (No worries, Mom, I'll be watching from a long distance away!)

March 11 - Today we'll explore the area around the volcano some more, including swimming in a nearby waterfall. In the afternoon, we'll travel to a small city called Nicoya and meet our host families.

March 12 - In the morning we'll have four hours of Spanish class through our language school, Instituto Guanacaste de Idiomas. The afternoon will include a workshop about the country's national parks and a walking tour of Nicoya.

March 13 - Morning trip to the Pacific Ocean (yay!). We'll visit Samara Beach, kayak to a small island off the coast, and then go snorkeling. In the afternoon we'll return to the school for more Spanish class.

March 14 - Spanish class in the morning and Samara Beach in the afternoon. Some students will go surfing.

March 15-16 - Travel to a small village called Nosarita and do some volunteer work. (I think I'll be helping to rebuild speed bumps on the road right outside of the school.)

March 17 - Visit Palo Verde National Park and take a river boat trip through the jungle. (Something like this.) We'll hopefully see monkeys, iguanas, and crocodiles.

Sunday, March 18 - Come back home. Boo.

Doesn't it sound like fun? :) I'll post a few times during the trip, and I'll be sure to upload photos!

3 comments:

Mom said...

Meg., it sure sounds like you have a fulllllll week. Have fun but be careful. Yes you girls will never get to old or big that I won't worry about you. That is my job.

Dave said...

You wont hear me say Boo.

IT Girl Mary said...

So excited for you! And so excited to be following your blog again!

Thank you for all the links. It's super fun to get to see the kinds of things you're doing.

Miss you!